Earn an advanced degree at a frontier of science and engineering
The BIOTRANS program aims to prepare future leaders of industrial and academic research to think, collaborate, and solve problems at the intersection of the engineering and biological sciences.
Submit your resume here to let us know you're interested
Why Should I Apply?
- Cross-disciplinary and interdisciplinary graduate education
- Cross-disciplinary research rotations
- Co-advisors in engineering and life science
- Education for professional development
- Interdisciplinary grant writing experience
Research Rotations & Field Experience
- Short-term "exploratory" research opportunities with multiple BIOTRANS faculty
- Exposure to research methods in both biology and engineering
- Use research rotation experience to identify co-advisors for thesis research
- Financial support for tuition and fees
- Stipends up to $30,000 per year
- Initial appointments of 12 months
- Internal grant challenge for additional support
- Interact with colleagues at conferences in the US or abroad
Who should apply?
- Prospective students with bachelor's or master's degrees in engineering, biology, or closely related fields
- Preference given to US citizens and permanent residents seeking a PhD degree
- Limited positions available for international PhD students
Applying to the BIOTRANS program at Virginia Tech
To apply now, go here for a description of the application process. We look forward to seeing your application!